Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Goedemorgen, Nederland

After two flights  and 15.5 hrs, I'm finally back in the Netherlands and I have a cold. Perfect timing really with the unpredictable Dutch weather, the cold and sometimes wet summer that feels more like autumn. I cannot even go out without wearing 3 layers of clothing.
 
I'm still trying to settle into a nice daily routine while the hubby is away at work. It could be jet lag but I find myself waking up at 5:00am here (which is around 11:00 am, Philippine time). Since I couldn't get back to sleep this morning, I went to the kitchen to make a sandwich for the hubby to take to work. I'm so used to my work schedule back home that now that I have plenty of free time by myself, I don't quite know what to do around here.

For some reason, this visit feels more daunting than the last.  This time around, it is more than just a relaxing vacation. I'm here to learn Dutch. My future depends on the inburgerings examen so for me, there should be only one way to go: to pass it. I stayed at home the whole day yesterday too scared to go out by myself so the hubby convinced me to go out a bit today to interact with other people. Getting cooped up inside the house will not help me learn anything. This morning I decided to visit the supermarket to buy some veggies.  It almost feels like deja vu, like that time when I was in Japan. I felt so lost then to be in a strange country with a strange language. Anyway, I survived my little supermarket trip with what little Dutch I know *whew*  and I was able to buy the things I needed.

Hopefully, once I adjust to my new environment, I can post more often. In the meantime,  I will share with you what I had for a simple lunch today.



TUNA PESTO PASTA
4 servings
2.5 cups of uncooked penne pasta
6-7 tbsp of pesto, add more if you like
3 tbsp olive oil
1 can of tuna, drained (195g)
1 medium white onion, chopped finely
2 cloves garlic, minced
1.5 tbsp of dried parsley or fresh parsley, finely chopped
grated parmesan cheese

Cook the pasta and drain. Saute the onions and garlic with the olive oil.  Add the tuna and break up the chunks. Cook for 3 minutes. Stir in the pasta and cook for a  minute or two. Add a little bit more olive oil or water if you find the pasta too dry. Stir in the pesto sauce. Mix well until the pasta is coated. Add the parsley and cook for another minute.  Serve hot sprinkled with grated parmesan cheese.