Thursday, October 20, 2011

Warm Apple Crisp on A Cold Day

Things have been a little out of sync with me lately and I have been feeling kind of down. There was just so much negative energy inside me, filling me with negative thoughts that sometimes I wonder if I've lost my mind. Maybe my boyfriend was right. Maybe I am a bit of a drama queen lol. He always reminds me to be grateful of the things you have in life whenever I feel like this. Everyone has problems but there are others out there who are in much worse position than I am so I shouldn't really complain. I am lucky to be where I am in my life right now and I should be thankful.

The Law of Attraction based on the best selling book, The Secret, says that "like attracts like" so you attract into your life whatever you think about, whatever you focus on and give your attention to, whether wanted or unwanted. Emotions also have to do with it. They are the driving force behind your thoughts. Positive thoughts and feelings bring more positive things into your life and negative thoughts bring about negative results.

So I am dedicating this post to shift my focus from the negative to the positive, to focus on the all the wonderful blessings God has given me. 

I am grateful to be alive, safe and healthy.
I am grateful for my loving and supportive family, especially my dad.
I am grateful to be working for a company that pays good and treats their employees well.
I am grateful for all the wonderful opportunities I have to travel to other places. Since I was a little girl, it has always been my dream to be able to explore other  countries and I never thought that one day, this would become a reality.
I am grateful to find a man who suits me perfectly and has almost all the qualities I'm looking for. You really make me happy, C =)
I am grateful to have both my working hands, because they allow me to cook and bake whatever I want.
I am grateful for old friendships that have withstood the length of time.
I am grateful to be living in a city that seldom has strong typhoons and earthquakes.
I am grateful for the kindness shown by the other bloggers to a newbie like me. Thanks to Nami@Just One Cookbook and Tina@Flour Trader.

I felt much better after eating this warm Apple Crisp. It is a no-fuss recipe and your kitchen will be filled with the amazing aroma of baked apples combined with the lovely scent of cinnamon. It is like feeling the warmth of the sun after being cold, like a little ray of sunlight in a gloomy room. Take this little humble treat to the next level by eating it warm and gooey, served with a nice cold vanilla ice cream on top.

WARM APPLE CRISP
Streusel Topping
recipe adapted from King Arthur Flour

3/4 cup flour (all purpose)
1/2 cup instant oats
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup dark brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp baking powder
1 stick (8 tbsp) cold butter, cut into cubes

Combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt, oats and baking powder in a bowl. Dot the butter on top of the flour mixture and cut it in with a fork or knife until the mixture is crumbly. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate while you prepare the apples.

Apple Cinnamon Filling
4 medium apples, peeled, cored and diced
2 tbsp water
2 tbsp lemon juice
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp  cinnamon 
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg 
2 tbsp cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat the oven to 200 C degrees for 15 minutes. Mix all the ingredients for the apple filling until well combined. Spoon the apple filling into the ramekins. Break the cold crumble topping into little pieces with a fork. Sprinkle with the streusel crumble on top of the apples. Bake for 30-35 minutes until it is hot and bubbly. Serve with vanilla ice cream on top.